"If you think you are beaten, you are. If you think you dare not, you don't. If you like to win, but you think you can't; It is almost certain you won't."- Neelam Chandra

 

Neelam Chandra


I belong to Nagpur, and this fact always brings a smile on my lips, because it’s a place where children with talents are encouraged a lot. This city reminds me to remain humble too, for it signifies my struggle to have a name of my own. Today, I not only have a successful career (I am a senior Railway Official – presently working as Additional Divisional Railway Manager in Pune), but have also made a name in the world of literature, which is my passion.

Studying was never easy for me having been brought up in a 1BHK house, which I shared with my parents and two siblings. Having a conservative dad who always felt that the life of a girl is to “serve” her husband, things were really difficult for me. However, persistence, patience and staying motivated whatever the circumstances, made me what I am today.
Known quite well in the world of literature now, my journey began in Nagpur itself when I was in Grade VI. I got the privilege of studying in J.N. Tata Parsi Girls’ High School, which was one of the best schools at that time. The teachers in this school groomed us well and I began to enjoy the various books that I kept receiving as a prize for doing well in exams. Later, we used to be taken to the library, and this opened a hidden treasure. Reading is what used to keep me motivated, since I learnt that to achieve anything, you have to struggle, not lose your heart and keep trying, trying, trying...
My favorite poem was:
“If you think you are beaten, you are.
If you think you dare not, you don't,
If you like to win, but you think you can't
It is almost certain you won't.

Life's battles don't always go
To the stronger or faster man,
But soon or late the man who wins
Is the man WHO THINKS HE CAN!”
― Walter D. Wintle

My first poem was published by “The Hitavada” when I was in Class VIII, though they were not publishing children’s poems at that point of time. Later, a few more poems were published by them.
However, I loved Mathematics as much as I adored literature, and when the choice had to be made, I chose Engineering.
RCE (now VNIT) is another place I cannot forget. It gave me the much-needed confidence and made me realise that it was possible to follow my dreams. I appeared for Indian Engineering Services exams and cleared it with flying colors. Managing work and home was slightly tedious and writing remained only in my diary or as verbal stories narrated by me every day to my daughter.

Later, when my daughter entered teens, I began to write once again.
This time, I sent my stories/poems to journals/magazines of international/national repute and got several awards in various contests (one by Gulzar sahib himself), which made me carry on with my passion.

Managing work and writing has been difficult, but I have enjoyed maintaining the balance. I know well that work is my first priority. However, since I haven’t watched television for the last 22 years or so, I am able to manage time for writing.

The message which I want to give everyone reading this is that nothing is impossible if you’re ready to toil for it. Hope to see many more Nagpurians succeed in whatever field they choose.



Post a Comment

0 Comments